Question:
How fast does heat attract to different colors (red,black,&green)and why.....?
Beverly
2006-03-28 20:52:19 UTC
which color would heat faster [under a (heat) lamp] red, black, or green and why do you think that color heats up the fastest than the other two?
Five answers:
Ravi Shankar
2006-03-28 21:06:49 UTC
Black colour is the pure absorbant of heat mixture of all color is black as all kind of light rays are absorbed by the black body it doesnt reflect any colr so all radiated heat waves are absorbed

If it is a red body it shows that the heat rays that of the body's color are reflected hence red color is apparent to our our eyes so black body absorbs heat and thus white one reflects heat as it doesnt accept any colored radiation
Darling32103
2006-03-28 21:05:31 UTC
Well, I think it has to do with the frequency of the colors. See...we see color because photons release a burst of energy...light. When they hit surfaces, they react with the atoms. The electrons in the atoms then get excited and the more excited they get, the closer to the violet end of the spectrum we see. The less excited ones go closer to red. Black, being all the colors absorbed, probably gets the hottest fastest because it has the most electrons doing the cha-cha at the fastest rate. Purples heat up pretty well as do blues and greens...but the further you get from purple, the cooler it gets. And then white is the reflection of all colors (as opposed to black-absorption of all). So it's not absorbing any of the light...or energetic photons...

But you may want to double check me on all of that...I'm no physics/chem major...for certain!
2016-05-20 11:38:18 UTC
Yes, it will probably warm up faster. Darker colors do not attract heat but they do absorb heat radiation more easily than light colors. Trade off faster heating for appearance. You may not be able to notice the difference, however, as the difference in time to bring the water temperature up will be minuscule and may not be noticeable.
GuruGhantal
2006-03-28 21:09:53 UTC
The question needs to be rephrased. Colors are what electromagnetic waves the objects reflect. Object with white color reflect all (almost all) e.m. waves, Black none (or almost none.) Heat is what changes the temperature of the body when certain e.m. waves are absorbed in the body.

The question of fast and slow does not enter into it.
AeroMidwest82
2006-03-28 20:53:39 UTC
The darker the color, the more heat it attracts. Not sure why, other than the fact that lighter colors are more reflective.