Question:
How does running water use force to move objects?
toothpickgurl
2006-03-19 16:09:58 UTC
Objects such as a bridge in a flood, etc. This is for a report due on Mar. 20. :)
Eleven answers:
Abhyudaya
2006-03-19 16:47:15 UTC
Wow! At last I found a good question & that too with a sensible asker who is wiling to do the research part. Here is my answer just for you-

In case of a flood, the flow of river is most of the times "turbulent". Do a Google search on "turbulence"+"fluids". Also search for "Mechanics of fluids".

But, the force in case of turbulent motion is pretty complicated so, I'll explain it in case of a slower speed of flood when the flow is "streamline" i.e. when the flow is not irregular.

While flowing, the magnitudes of the velocities of streamliness are inversely proportional to the spacing between two streamlines in a plane. So, the narrower the hole is, more speedily the water will pass from it & thus, would exert more force.

Now, try and do a Google search on these topics-

1- Bernoulli's Principle

2- Torricelli's Law of Efflux

Those laws will help you with your report a lot.
majpopo
2006-03-19 16:13:01 UTC
Imagine the water of a river and the weight of the water. Then add the speed of the river to the weight. In some instances (a bridge), the water is able to lift the bridge and push at the same time. Usually it doesn't happen all at once, sometimes a river or water pounds and erodes at something for a period of time causing damage.
kitkat
2006-03-19 17:00:25 UTC
Any object on earth carries within itself a certain property called MASS. Energy is also relative to MASS. Mass is defined as weight relative to the space it occupies. Water is an object, when it moves it carries with it its mass and energy, space occupied by water is express in volume, the more the volume, the greater the mass. Therefore. the force of running water (ebergy) against any stationary objects can be attributed to mass displacement. Heavier mass, displaces lighter mass objects.

~meow
Reticent
2006-03-19 16:21:41 UTC
As water runs, or drops, it contains energy that can be converted to useful energy by means of gears, paddles, buckets, and so on. That same force that can be used constructively by us can also cause much destruction. THE BRIDGE in your example, is anchored to the ground and engineers calculate how much water prussure it could withstand under normal conditions. But during a flood, obnormal amouints of water flowing through its structure could pull it out of its base, rendering that stucture to distruction....KECK
browneyes
2006-03-19 16:18:22 UTC
It's thru the amount of pressure per square inch that builds up within the gully walls bneath the bridge that moves objects,sumtimes large objects too. I kno this may sound simple & I hav no more facts, but I hope it helps.
*ICEMAN*
2006-03-19 17:39:00 UTC
From all the answers above, summerizing in bullet points:

.Turbulent flow

.Bernoulli's principle

.Torricelli's Law of Efflux

.amount(mass) of water

.velocity profile (in the path)

- eg: if the river is 20 ft wide, and velocity is greatest at the center, objects at the center have the greatest chance of being displaced

.Pressure difference (covered under Bernoulli's)

.height difference (covered under Bernoulli's)

.velocity difference (covered under Bernoulli's)
NinjaMG5
2006-03-19 16:16:35 UTC
My guess would simply be momentum and gravity. Large quantities of water moving downhill naturally gain speed and momentum. I guess all you need to refer to is newton's three laws of motion. Visit source for a full and much better explanation.
2016-12-18 15:14:02 UTC
Wow that sentence is an absolute shaggy dog tale, two decades for that? i could have given them existence or probable the dying penalty if available (i don't think of Japan has it) two decades is minuscule in comparison to the soreness Junko could have persevered the two mentally and bodily.
2006-03-19 16:13:51 UTC
if this is for a report, you should really do your own homework. search google, because any information you give in your report has to be referenced properly, or else it is plagiarism. so any answer that someone gives you here cannot properly be referenced.
xoveexo
2006-03-19 16:12:52 UTC
hard to answer but i'll try. the force of the water's movement also forces the object to move.
mozzy
2006-03-19 16:26:18 UTC
the force pushies objects along becasue there is so much forece behind the objects