Question:
diff between power current and voltage?
arun_1530siva
2006-02-01 09:12:42 UTC
diff between power current and voltage?
Six answers:
manivannan
2006-02-03 20:39:14 UTC
There is a relationship between power P, voltage V and current I. This relationship is best summarised by this formula:

P=IV.

Current is something else entirely. It is the rate at which electrical charge flows. The standard unit for charge is the Coulomb, and the standard unit for current is the Ampere.

Voltage is the “push” that excites the electrons in a conductor and makes them flow (as current). Voltage is measured in volts and can be thought of as the potential for charge to do work.

power, electric, energy dissipated in an electrical or electronic circuit or device per unit of time. The electrical energy supplied by a current to an appliance enables it to do work or provide some other form of energy such as light or heat. Electric power is usually measured in Watts
alexsopos
2006-02-01 10:21:24 UTC
Let's start off with Power.

Power in Physics is a measure of the rate at which Work (or energy consumed/transmitted) is done. It is found by the formula P = work (or energy)/time and the units are Watts. In the real world it means that a 100 Watt light bulb transforms 100 Joules of electrical energy into Heat and Light every second.

As reported in other answers, electrical Power can be found by the equation Power = Current x Voltage, but this comes from the fact that Electrical Energy = Voltage x Current x Time (E = VIt) and so substituting in P = E/t we end up with P = VIt/t, the 't' crosses out and we end up with P=IV. Then, by Ohm's Law (V=IR) this formula can be re-written as P=V*2/R or P=I*2R [note I*2 means the square of I]. So, though Power is indeed the product of Voltage and Current, it still is - like all Power - the rate at which work is done (or rate of energy consumed).

Current (symbol I) is a measure of the amount of Charge (1 Coulomb of charge is equal to 6 x 10*18 electrons) passing through a point in the wire each second. So a current of 2A (unit of Current is the ampere [A]) means that 2 coulombs of charge are passing through that point each second. So Current = Charge/time (I = Q/t).

Voltage is a measure of the work (or electrical energy given) to each coulomb of electricity passing from one point of a circuit to another. So, a 1.5 Volt battery gives 1.5 joules of electrical energy to every coulomb (6 x 10*18 electrons) of electricity. The negative side of the battery gives this energy and the electrons must lose this energy by the time they reach the battery's positive side. This usually happens by operating a device of some sort, like a bulb which transforms this energy into heat and light. If there is no such device to transform the energy into, the electrons lose all their energy as heat, like a heating coil does. That is why a short circuit is very dangerous and could start fires!
Christina
2006-02-01 09:18:22 UTC
There's not a lot of difference with them as they are all inter-related.

P=I*V , units of Power is Watts

I or current measures the amount of positive charge flowing through a resistance (opposite direction of electron flow). I = V/R. The base unit of current is Amps. In most electronic devices though current is discussed in terms of mA (milliamps).

V or Voltage measures the difference in electrical potential across a resistor, or across a power source. The base unit of voltage is Volts.

V = I*R.
2006-02-01 09:18:43 UTC
Current is the flow of electrons, measures in Amperes.

Voltage is the amount of 'push' given to the electrons to make them move, measured in Volts.

Power is the product of current and voltage, measured in Watts.
Űbergeek
2006-02-01 09:58:35 UTC
Like Christina said, ... or to use the hydraulic analogy, current is how much water (electrons) is flowing through the pipe. Voltage is the water pressure.
2006-02-03 04:04:59 UTC
-power is the time rate of doing work; while current is the net transfer of electric charge per unit time.

-Voltage is the measure of potential difference or electromotive force.